Last week Jewels, Laura, Kris and I went sweet corn picking....along with our 7 kids combined. The kids did really good. They all stayed at the vehicles and played in the dirt and didn't run off into the other corn that was there.

Then we all went down to Jewel's house and Laura and I picked cherries while the other two started on sweet corn.

Aren't these pretty? Nothing is better than picking your own fruits and veggies and putting them up yourself. It's a lot of work, but it goes faster when you have friends helping! And Laura, Jewels and I are willing to help each other with whatever! It's a good thing we live fairly close together...
We picked a lot of cherries. Enough for a gallon bag full. Which is plenty enough for making sweet cherry jam (recipe to follow soon). I pitted them with my cherry pitter, washed them and put them in the gallon freezer bag and into the freezer they went, waiting to be made into sweet cherry jam.

Then I moved on to help the girls with the sweet corn. First it was shucked and cleaned of all the silk.

Plunged into cold water to stop the cooking process.

This is corn that's been cut off the cob.

Last, we put it into freezer bags. Usually we'd put it into quart bags, but we were out. So we filled up gallon bags about half full. Make sure to date them. We got 15 half full gallon bags that day. Two days ago we did some more corn and got 19 gallon bags that were filled about 3/4 full. Into the freezer it goes to be used throughout the fall and winter.
Keeping Things Fun!Jess


wow!! you got a lot of corn!!
ReplyDeleteI didn't think about freezing fresh corn like that!! I bet it's a lot cheaper than buying it too!!