These are some very cute long sleeve onesies that my Mother-in-law gave to Ellie quite a while ago. Only problem is....they are onesies. Those don't work so well when trying to potty train!

So of course I decided to fix them so she could wear them. Well, she's in that size now and it's getting colder outside so I decided it was time. It was very simple to do and it didn't take any time at all. Maybe 30 minutes.

First I cut off where the legs holes were. Just straight across with my rotary cutter.

So now it looks like a shirt that needs hemmed. Hang on to that scrap though, you never know what you can do with it!!

Then I turned the shirts inside out and hemmed the bottom up about 3/8" (about!!). Make sure you don't pull as your sewing unless you want a ruffled look. And that's it! But I decided I needed to embellish a little....you know me!!

The other problem with this one is that it was a turtleneck. I cannot stand to wear turtleneck's so I won't put my kids in them. You don't have to tell me....I'm strange! So I cut straight down the side of the neck where the shoulder seem meets it. I turned the edges under as best as I could and sewed the holes shut as close to the edge as I could and I used a zig-zag stitch.

So now it lays like this, instead of having that choking feeling.

When I was hemming this one, it somehow got caught in my sewing machine and I had to pull it out. Well, I probably didn't have to, but I did. So there was a hole and of course it was on the front of the shirt. So I found this cute little lace in my stash of stuff and sewed it right over the hem.

This is the pink one. I did try to do that ruffling thing with this one but I didn't pull enough, I guess, because I can't hardly tell it. Of course it didn't work when I wanted it to!! I think it may be a little short, though, so I may add a ruffle at the bottom to make it longer.

Here's the striped one. I like the new neckline better.

And the purple one is long enough. All I did to this one is hem the bottom.
I think they turned out pretty cute and now Ellie has 3 new shirts for Winter. Thanks, Mom-in-law!!
Keeping Things Fun!
Jess
No comments:
Post a Comment