Isn't this jacket just cute!!? I got the tutorial here from Just Sew Sassy and when I saw it, I just knew I had to make one for V because he is really into dinosaurs these days. Dinosaur Train is one of his favorite cartoons. These are not very happy pictures of him because I made him take a time out from Mario to take a couple of pics.
I found this cute coat at Target for $8. Ya can't beat that for something that you're going to cut in half! It's a gray light jacket that says 'Rocker' on it. I took the stitching out of the hood but left the very front attached, so that was my starting point to sew the spikes in.
Then I cut straight down the back, leaving the zipper zipped so it would still be one piece. I just cut straight through the tag.
The tutorial says to use fleece for the spikes because it doesn't fray but I only had white and really didn't want to use that. I found some red felt that I had but it wasn't long enough. So I had to raid my friend Laura's fabric stash for some fleece in a color other than white and she found red...perfect!! Thanks Laura! So I cut 2 strips long enough to go down the length of the hood and coat. Make sure it's longer than the coat by at least 4 inches because the hat goes out and then back in, which takes more fabric. My strip was longer than the coat just by a little bit and when I sewed it on it didn't make it all the way to the end. It only made it to the stretchy trim around the bottom so it doesn't look too bad. Then I cut spikes all the way down and sewed them along the edges to hold them together. It probably would have been cute to leave them unsewn too because some dinosaurs have spikes sticking out to both sides. (I've learned a lot from Dinosaur Train!! Very educational!!)
E wanted her picture taken too! How could I resist??
Then I pinned up the back with right sides together and the spikes sticking in toward the right side of the coat.
Pin a lot down the hood to hold it securely with spikes facing in.
Turn right side out and see what you've got! I was excited to see it! It turned out really cute I think. He likes it even though he didn't want his picture taken! He says he doesn't want me to sew eyes on the hood but he may change his mind later. It's cute with just the spikes, though, and now E wants one too!
Keeping Things Fun!
Jess



That is so cute!! I'm sure Mason will want on too if he sees it anyways...
ReplyDeleteE looks so big in that photo! What a great optical illusion!