This was REALLY good! I found it in an old recipe book that's from Madison County Farm Bureau Women in 1975. When I was working, the lady I worked with brought several old cookbooks that she didn't want and asked me if I wanted them. HECK YEAH!! I love cookbooks! Especially old ones. So every once in awhile I get in a rut about what to make for supper (do any of you have that problem?) and decide to go through old cookbooks to find something new...and I found this. It's called Skillet Supper and it's really easy and quick to make and doesn't take a lot of ingredients....which is always good when you're busy. This isn't the exact recipe because I changed it slightly because it would've been WAY too salty if I hadn't......yuck! This recipe is very versatile so you can add as many or as few veggies as you want. If you add more veggies you will probably have to add more water so they won't dry out and taste bad.
Skillet Supper
2 strips bacon
1 lb. ground beef or ground pork
1/4 C. soy sauce
1/2 C. water (maybe more while cooking)
a pinch of salt
1 large onion (sliced)
4-5 large potatoes (cut in chunks)
1/2 a head of cabbage (cut up) or more if you really like cabbage
Brown the bacon. Remove from skillet and leave the grease in the pan. Add beef and brown. Meanwhile, cut up the bacon, slice the onion, chunk the potatoes and cut up the cabbage. Once beef is browned, add soy sauce, water, salt, bacon, onions, potatoes and cabbage and mix. Cover and Simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add more water during cooking if it gets too dry. This stays hot for a long time so be careful!
Happy Eating!
Jess
No comments:
Post a Comment